In order to help our students meet their goals quickly and effectively the Intensive English Program offers a variety of courses and uses the latest ESL teaching techniques. Our program has 6 levels of proficiency from basic to advanced and students attend class 20 hours a week. Class size is small with an average of 12-15 students.
See examples of specific course descriptions...
- Level 600 (high advanced)
- Level 500 (advanced)
- Level 400 (high intermediate)
- Level 300 (intermediate)
- Level 200 (high beginner)
- Level 100 (beginner)
The IEI believes that the best way for students to learn English is by taking responsibility for their own learning process. As a result, IEI classes teach students both knowledge of English and learning strategies for acquiring the different skills they need.
Some of the skills that the Intensive English Program can help students develop are:
- Formal Presentations
- Research Papers
- Notetaking strategies
- Conversational English – both listening and speaking
- Letter Writing
- Strategies for Listening to TV, Radio, Movies
- Computer skills such as PowerPoint
- Correct grammar usage in speaking and writing
- Vocabulary development
In all levels we emphasize:
- Meaningful communication
- Learning by doing real-life tasks
- Integration of skills such as reading/writing, listening/speaking or reading/speaking.
- Students’ responsibility for their own learning
- Learning strategies for success in skill development
- Students’ interaction with each other and American culture
Students participate in a wide range of activities in class that provides them with an interesting and meaningful experience. Class activities often include:
- Watching video
- Field trips
- Pair and small group discussion
- Role plays
- Working in the computer lab
- Doing group projects
In all levels, students do homework that can include listening, speaking, reading or writing assignments. These assignments build on what students have been working on in class and enrich their learning experience.