Transitions to Illinois
Make a great transition to life at Illinois.
Transitions prepares incoming international undergraduate University of Illinois students with the English skills, campus knowledge, and social experiences that they need to make the most of their first year on campus. Apply Here
This month-long program includes:
- 18 hours per week of English instruction
- Superior English language teachers and trained professional staff
- Orientation to campus life and culture
- Social and cultural activities
- Campus residence halls and some meals
“After attending the Transitions Program I feel more confident about myself. I think I’m prepared to begin my fall semester. Moreover, spending one month earlier on the campus helped me know the campus more! Now I can help other freshman to look for their buildings!”
-Ellie Hsieh, Taiwan
Program Dates: July 26 – August 11, 2017
Accepting Applications: February 4 – May 16, 2017
Notification of Acceptance: May 17, 2017
You will spend approximately 18 hours a week:
- Developing language skills in English for academic purposes
- Learning critical academic listening and speaking skills necessary for a successful start at UIUC
- Interacting with faculty, staff, and experienced students to learn about campus expectations, customs, and keys to success
- Participating in social and cultural activities designed to orient you to campus life
- Other early arrival benefits: Get used to dormitory life, become familiar with campus buildings and locations, adjust to local transportation, become familiar with off-campus locations in Champaign-Urbana
- Welcome events
- Campus tours
- Open discussions with current students
- Opportunities for community engagement
- Free time to become familiar with the local area
Academic English courses:
- Academic Listening and Speaking
- Academic Reading and Writing
- American Academic and Campus Culture
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is this program for?
Incoming non-native English speaking undergraduate and graduate students who are interested in enhancing their English skills and understanding the academic culture at Illinois before beginning their fall semester of classes.
Why should I attend?
You will be better prepared for your life as a student at Illinois. Come early, meet some of your fellow students, and get ready for success!
Where will I live during the Transitions program?
You will stay with other Transitions students in a dormitory similar to or the same as your fall housing. A resident advisor will be in the dormitory to help with adjustment and any questions you may have. You will be able to move into your permanent university dormitory immediately after the end of the program.