University Success Program
The Intensive English Institute’s University Success Program is a great way for learners ages 14-17 to practice English, learn about American university culture, have fun, and make friends! The program is designed to give high-achieving international students an enriching multicultural experience on the world-class University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign campus. Join our 3-week summer session! Spaces are limited.
See: Program Overview
Application Deadline: May 19, 2017
Program Fees Due in Full: June 2, 2017
2017 Summer Program: July 16 - August 6, 2017Cost
2017 Summer Program: $4,530.00 USD
Non-refundable Deposite: $200.00 USD due at application
Program costs include all classes, excursions, housing on campus, and meals. Participants are responsible for travel and visa expenses.
The schedule will vary from program to program, but the main activities include:
- English language instruction during class in the mornings
- Cultural excursions or on-campus activities in the afternoons
- Less-formal activities that include an opportunity for participants to interact with each other and experience American culture (e.g., movies, bowling, festivals, etc.) in the evenings and weekends
There are three major outcomes for the English Youth Programs: (1) English skills, (2) content knowledge, and (3) intercultural awareness.
The English Youth Program offers three different levels: Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. During the first day, learners complete a placement test and are placed into one of these three levels. The levels correspond to the Common European Framework of Reference as follows:
- Beginner: CEFR A1-A2
- Intermediate: CEFR B1
- Advanced: CEFR B2-C1
Thematic units are designed around authentic materials and experiences, including: readings, videos, lectures, class visitors, and community activities. Thematic units are accompanied by learning course packs.
Weekly on-campus, community, and surrounding area excursions are designed to reinforce classroom learning and give participants the opportunity to experience American culture and history. The excursions are subject to change pending weather, guide availability, or other unforeseen factors.
Sample Educational Excursions:
- Walking Tour of UIUC Campus
- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum: Springfield, IL
- Lincoln’s Tomb: Springfield, IL
- Lincoln’s New Salem: Petersburg, IL
- UIUC Maker’s Lab
- Krannert Center for the Performing Arts Tour
- Community Volunteer Activity
- UIUC Guest Speakers
In every thematic unit, learners complete a unit project. These projects build on what participants have been working on in and out of class to enrich their learning experience.