Become a ConvoPartners Volunteer
Help our students improve their English language skills by meeting with them for at least ONE hour each week for casual conversation and mutual cultural exchange. You can make new friends and experience the world from another viewpoint. It is also a great experience to add to your resume.
Who can apply?
Those 18 years of age or older who are…
- University of Illinois students
- University of Illinois faculty
- University of Illinois staff
- Urbana-Champaign community members
Do volunteers need to be Americans?
Not necessarily, but volunteers MUST…
- Be a native English speaker
- Have a solid understanding of American customs and culture
What are the expectations?
- Attend the ConvoPartners meet and greet at the beginning of the semester.
- Meet with your ConvoPartner (1 or 2 IEI students) for at least one hour each week. You and your partner can pick the time and place that is convenient for both of you.
- Complete a form online that will be emailed to you weekly for tracking of volunteer hours.
- Attend some of the IEI social activities. These events are optional, but the students love it when their ConvoPartners can join them!
You can become a VOLUNTEER for the ConvoPartners Program by completing this online form. If we are able to match you with a student, we will email you (usually during the first week of the semester) to let you know you have been matched and give details for the meet and greet to meet your ConvoPartner(s)!