Become a ConvoPartners Volunteer
Help our students improve their English language skills by meeting with them for only ONE hour each week for casual conversation and mutual cultural exchange. You can make new friends and experience the world from another viewpoint. It’s also an experience you can add to your resume.
Who can apply?
Those 18 years of age or older who are…
- University of Illinois students
- University of Illinois faculty
- University of Illinois staff
- Urbana-Champaign community members
Do volunteers need to be Americans?
Not necessarily, but volunteers MUST…
- Have a solid understanding of American customs and culture
- Have understandable English pronunciation
- Have attended an American high school
What are the expectations?
- Attend the ConvoPartners orientation and match-up at the beginning of the semester
- Meet with your ConvoPartner (1 or 2 IEI students) for at least one hour each week. You and your partner can pick the time and place that is convenient for both of you.
- Complete a weekly online form to track your volunteer hours
- Attend some of the all-IEI social activities. These events are optional, but the students love it when their ConvoPartners can join them.
You can become a volunteer for the ConvoPartners Program by completing this online form. As soon as we find a match for you (usually during the first week of the semester), we’ll let you know how to contact your new ConvoPartner(s).
For more information, email email@example.com .